Add your potential SM Projects TODO-List here
Add your potential SM Projects TODO-List here
The purpose of this page is to (possibly gather interest for and) keep track of and gather interest for projects (or to document them, to keep ideas conserved), aswell as to allow for a publicly accessible overview of and insights into personal and/or general (in case the same thing is wanted by many) SM related ideas (in a structured/ordered manner) for potential new future projects (which then possibly could be tackled in a coordinated manner) or completions/conclusions of unfinished already existing projects that could be wanted by 1 or more persons in the community, and/or help the community or the Wiki page to improve. So feel free to brainstorm about
(even if it might be exaggerated wishful thinking) that might technically or realistically contribute to the prosperity of the Wiki and/or SM community.
ED's SM Projects TODO-List
Anything below is meant as project for NTSC aswell as PAL, aswell as with respect to different (worthwhile) rule-sets (such as with or without GT Code, OoB, or Reverse Lower Norfair entry) unless further specified.
- Adding (complete, so that they show not only parts of rooms) pictures/screenshots of all/remaining rooms to the WIKI from the SMILE editor, possibly with the different existing room states (and preferably also with a version in which solid tiles are highlighted to differentiate them from air and e.g. spike blocks like in MB1's room).
- Documenting suggested close to optimal routes on the Wiki for PAL speedrun categories (such as 100% with the Etecoon floor clip), possibly together with demonstration corresponding speedrun videos. Example 1: Any%glitched theory TAS (with hitbox viewerand setup explanations) for Sniq's don't try this at home route that takes the Parlor Wrongwarp ( https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/397601257432547339/397602280125366273/dont_try_this_at_home_path.png ) to Landing Site's OoB for early PBs to then continue normally. Example 2: PAL any% (which would probably do the new route from NTSC which is viable in PAL). Example 3: PAL 100% theory TAS with the (quick) Etecoon-floor clip (and its route-wise consequences).
- For the time being: An implementation of an automatic conversion of speedrun submissions from DeerTier to the leaderboard(s) on SRC (and vice versa, unless already existing), to obsolete the need for manual transfer by moderators.
- Page with a list of hard/TAS tricks/maneuvers/techniques (not necessarily speedrun related), together with either a confirmation that the trick is RTA doable or unknown or has been tested and is deemed impossible).
- Investigating the G-Mode X-Ray usage timings at savestations for various memory corruption effects, for a possibly faster any%glitched speedrun route for players.
- Creation of an as easy and early setup (with video & explanation) for getting an artificial OoB Varia for players.
- creating a spreadsheet with strat room times for all rooms (depending on equipment, category, RNG, ammo+hp costs), possibly with strat video clips or descriptions of the strats.
- creation of a check list of as many hard tricks/glitches/TAS-strats as possible for which of those have been attempted (and are deemed to be not humanly doable) and which of them are doable without tool-assistance.
- Creation and application of a mapping tool/lua script for mapping the full tile content in rooms including all of the Out of Bounds areas (and if possible multiple versions per room, and for all rooms).
- Listing all qualitatively different ways in which tool-assisted superplay could go out of bounds in a room, for all rooms.
- Listing all my tile behavior analysis of the 4096 block types with the 16 block types and 256 BTS values each in some appropriate page.
- Making a page for the rapidfire-echoes map ( https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=SuperMetroid-Zebes+rapidfire-echoe+map+(finished).png ) together with explanations.
- Figuring out the remaining parts of the to-be-updated Item-Tree analysis aswell as Item-Randomizer analysis, and properly documenting the results aswell as the reasoning that leads to these. For this purpose, this map should be useful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/etpqefnzd9cchwv/SuperMetroid-Zebes%20pre-finalized%20TAS%20Item%20Randomizer%20Map.png?dl=0
- Updating and extending the physics compendium. The compendium is planned to be updated in the future versions including a directory, a glossary, video-links for visualizations, symbols to highlight more interesting remarks, a chart for some movements within different states (of Samus)/media.
- Analogous to the Item-Tree analysis, the Exploration analysis (regarding all minimal item combinations that allow to uncover a given map tile, for all map tiles, starting from the beginning) is to be continued and updated.
- Further category speedrun world record progressions remain to be documented, and possibly a documentation or list or place for completions that fit less as speedruns but as achievements/challenges. Regarding the documentation of the progressions, one might aswell add further information regarding (possibly) relevant characteristics of WR runs such as if emulator (and in this case which and what version) was used, or what other device was used.
- The history of SM discoveries (tricks, glitches, routes, etc.) remains to be documented...
- Maybe as supporting preparatory basis for the above, one could make a place in which all known instances of strange occurrences happened (in videos for example)
- Putting up a guide on how to use Geiger's debugger (or maybe bsnes' debugging) with breakpoints to figure out various things.
- Documenting/Making a video of Samus' CF colours while having rainbow beam effect on.
- - -
Special categories related:
- Figuring out all of the solutions to Low%No-Refills.
- Making a demonstration of Pacifist-Low% aswell as Pacifist-Max%.
- Making guides for Blindfolded completions
- Quick, rough speed-focused guide for Blindfolded speedruns (of any%, 100%) to quickly learn only the maneuvers for situations/rooms where is it reasonably needed to get through them (while leaving out information for rooms that are generally easy enough to get through, provided one is reasonably familiar with the game).
- More thorough, in-depth consistency-focused guide for actually blind people (for any%, maybe 100%), and for bringing down Blindfolded Low%.
- Improving the current state of the Low%Map record, and possibly making a proof of concept (or own attempt) for an estimated best possible map tile count for Low%Map.
- Testing (and if possible documenting) with what preferably minimal equipment it is/might be possible to keep surviving forever at the magdollites room aswell as pre-Ridley room just by efficient farming and TAS RNG manipulation.
- Making a proof of concept demonstration for RBO being possible with 13% for TAS.
- Updating/Solving 8Beam-Shots-Low% for the Underflow case (and documenting it).
- Figuring out and documenting the solutions to minimal number of rooms in which Samus is at least for 1 frame unmorph (i.e. Morphball%).
- Figuring out a working option, among the many possible ways (holding Dash for individual rooms or not, adding armpumps or spinjumps...) in which one can with perfectly buffered/normalized movement go through Ceres to reach Ridley there, that allows for players (at least for emulator since console has snychronization problems due to the audio component) to start the game and mash through the menus (or time close to frame perfect inputs for that) to reach Ceres with just a small general variance in the number of frames that this took, such that together with a properly found normalized movement through Ceres, one can hopefully recognize which few different Ceres Ridley patterns one can get, and have preferably many patterns in there that allow for preferably easy 0 damage fights, to make No Damage speedruns much more accessible.
- - -
Hacks & TAS related:
- Possibly routing and documenting such routings of further SM speedrun branches such as
- all the 4 other 13% TAS-Low% branches (PB-PB, PB-Ice, PB-Speed, PB-X-Ray), and in particular, my suggested routes on TASVideos for some of these require updating to make up for the new discoveries
- any%IGT (with pause abuse optimizations, and possibly an encode that only shows frames in which IGT runs)
- IGT-optimized NMG any% TAS with pause abuse throughout (and an encode that only shows frames in which IGT runs), and properly figured out optimal route
- Routing further hacks for any% TASes, in particular interest would be on the following list of hacks:
- SM Redesign (there is material and info by Saturn, Taco and Hoandizi and Elminster)
- SM Redesign (any%glitched with Sniq's early moonwalk doorskip OoB at 2nd Crateria room or so and walking onto a strange PLM tile in the ceiling of another room that triggers the escape state, which is also used in Elminster's RTA runs of it)
- SM Hyper (there's a WIP by Taco up to around Spore Spawn)
- (SM Project Base v.0.8)
- SM Ice Metal (there's some japanese WIP or TAS out there on NicoNico that abuses Megaball iirc)
- SM Z-Factor (needs adaptions to open it in SMILE)
- SM Final Stand (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Oxide (see DCR's speedrun as comparison, and my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Advent (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Hydellius (there's now many different mostly progressive versions of this)
- SM Ice Returns (there's a TAS of this by Hoandizi but the boss fight is unnecessary, see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM New Zebes
- SM RBO Insane
- SM YPR (see my Test-TAS movie file, hack ends in Lower Norfair, rapid-fire speed-echoes might find application)
- SM So Little Garden (Taco made a WIP, Hoandizi made a TAS of Max%, also see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Snowglobe (Taco and someone else made a WIP, also see my test-TAS movie file)
- SM Airy (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM GR2 Halfhack2
- SM Lost World 1.4 (see my route notes)
- SM So Little Items (see Mumu_Didi's speedruns for comparison)
- SM Reimagined version(...) (Taco made a WIP of it)
- SM Digital Cube (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM So Little Time
- SM Retroid (see Galamoz' speedruns and my notes, and my map: https://wiki.supermetroid.run/images/b/b8/SM_Retroid.jpg)
- SM Stupidity
- SM Impossible
- SM Aquamarine (unknown obscure old puzzle hack actually)
- SM Revolution Ex
- SM Sigma++ (this one is a boss rush hack and has excellent graphics, but doesn't have credits)
- SM Sunshine Oddity
- SM Super Mega-Metroid X-2 (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Arrival (key skip isn't possible anymore in the new version)
- SM YP Hell (see Sweetnumb's and maybe other's speedruns for comparison and my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Noobsmasher (see my Test-TAS movie files)
- SM Falling (might be done soon)
- (possibly new unique and worthy hacks, or hacks that could showcase special rare tricks/applications such as Bomb-Grapple-Hanging Transition-Teleportation or GGG via super-fast shot using a spark into a CF, or playing in the title screen demos, or applying midair Springballjump-chains suitless in water)
- Figuring out if the early Gravity GGG for SM Impossible is possible (as proof of concept), with a corresponding movie file (and video) as documentation.
- Making a proof of concept theory speedrun for the new early PBs SM Impossible any% route (as improvement over Lioran's current route). The route would do the Moondance except with probably 2 incorporated well-timed turnarounds to prevent knockback from an off-screen moving Zeela during the setup, and keeping enough energy for traversing the Beetom spike hall of death to get early PBs. Since PBs kill Novas, one can get the 2 Highjump-E.T.s before Kraid. PBs also kill the green pirates and Mini-Kraid. Kraid is still needed for Spazer and 1 E.T., and an early Norfair R.T. could be collected at this point (but doesn't need to for the purpose of trying a hit-or-miss CF & R-Jump to get Plasma very early. The PBs should also allow to get Crocomire's E.T. early. After Supers and Highjump, one can collect the normal 1st PBs via Glasstube shortcut with the rooms above. Then (one maybe could go and get the E.T. at X-Ray's location but maybe also instead on the way back down, and) one can get Charge (helps for pseudo-screws at Phantoon) on the way to Phantoon (and more Supers), and one can go the same way back without Forgotten Highway and Maridia. It should be possible to get CF-ammo on the way to Plasma by killing the crab (maybe via a layed PB), laying a PB and getting a PB drop back, to do a CF and then a 1st try R-Jump (which would help a ton for Draygon and Botwoon), and this might justify skipping the beach Supers. For early Plasma grab retries, it might make sense to save at the glasstube savestation as backup. Afterwards, one would continue normally (and maybe would skip the Maridia R.-Tank). This route would have a harder beginning part but would make the hardest part, Draygon easier, and should save some minutes over the previous route. A map of the hack would be here: . There's also a map of the hack with notes on restrictions: . Additional (local) Item restrictions (for Items without numbers, the usual local restrictions hold):
- (1): Due to a right-facing Blue Gate, Wave is required.
- (2): Due to a right-facing Blue Gate, either some Super Missile shot using Speedbooster and Spacejump is possible, or Wave is needed.
- (3): One needs Super Missiles to pass through to the left (or right) side.
- (4): Either Grapple or Speedbooster/Flashsuit (for Spikespark ceiling-clip) is required.
- (5): Super Missiles are required.
- (6): Powerbombs are required.
- (7): Speedbooster/Flashsuit is required.
- (8): Super Missiles are required.
- (9): Grapple is required.
- (10): Powerbombs and Speedbooster/Flashsuit is required.
- (11): Grapple is required.
- (12): Powerbombs required.
- (13): Powerbombs (or Ice) required.
- (14): Wave is required to get to the left.
- (15): Speedbooster/Flashsuit is required to get to the left.
- (16): Ice Beam required (or a ceiling-CF with Grapple).
- (17): Grapple required.
- (18): 2 Super Missile packs (or Speedbooster/Flashsuit) required.
- (19): Grapple is required.
- (20): Speedbooster/Flashsuit required.
- (21): Grapple required.
- (22): Powerbombs required.
- (23): A lot of time and energy required.
- (24): Grapple required.
- (25): Crystal Flash required.
- (26): Springball or R-Tank double-knockback (with further Pause Abuse or R-Tank) required.
- (27): Springball or Speedbooster/Flashsuit (or Gravity) required.
- (28): Grapple required.
- (29): Grapple and Speedbooster/Flashsuit required.
- (30): Grapple required.
- (31): One cannot go down through the floor here.
- (32): 2 Super Missile packs required.
- (33): One cannot get to the lower part of the room from above.
- (34): One cannot get to the upper right area of the room from the left.
Restrictions for grey shells (if there is no number next to a grey shell, then it is the natural restriction):
- (1): Kraid needs to be dead.
- (2): All Novas must be killed (with Spazer).
- (3): Crocomire must be dead.
- (4): Golden Torizo must be dead.
- (5): Ridley must be dead.
- (6): Always closed.
- (7): All enemies must be killed (with Gravity and Screwattack).
- (8): All Mocktroids must be killed.
- Going through all of the on the Wiki listed TASes to search for improvements (and ideas for potential improvements), and to list them in corresponding pages for each TAS (and making a page that covers and explains the most frequent general details, quirks and tricks that can be applied in TASes, such that in concrete improvement list pages, one can just refer to such trick application together with a timestamp in the TAS where it seems applicable).
- Putting up a place on the Wiki where obsoleted SM (hack or original) TASes can be gathered (possibly integrated into the structure of the current TAS list page, with their corresponding info).
- On this note, it seems that on the TAS list page, the movie file for Ruin, The Adam Virus, Wet Winter, Grand Prix 2, and Taco's TAS movie files are missing (and should, as opposed to other missing files, be obtainable). And it seems that the RBO Impossible TAS video parts are unavailable anymore.
- Apparently Hubert's Project Base any% and Max% TAS movie files are lost according to him.
- Finalizing the age old Item-Randomizer project for Ice Metal (from here with outdated, but TAS-conditions for traversing all places in all existing areas, which though might want to be updated, and for players, new weakened conditions would need to be found/determined and set: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3211.25.html ).
- An expanded, more detailed characterization of hacks with parameters and special unique features that differentiate them from others (like the short list that I once made for Kottpower:
List of hacks on MetConst for relatively short hack TASes (some take under an hour, others can take maybe 3 hours or a bit longer), and the following hacks have all their own room- and area-structure (but a few might have some similarities to the original in the beginning, but should still differ from it in their own ways), and they should in general have mediocre difficulty (some are a bit harder, others are easier), and provide hopefully interesting features and are fun.
SM. Final Stand [dark planet; Metroids hunt Samus]
SM. Legend of the Beast - Prologue [rather short; journey towards the center of the planet]
SM. Advent [jungle graphics; new beams]
SM. Black Plague [dark building; project base mechanics]
SM. Dark World [very short; "dark world" like in Metroid Prime 2 Echoes]
SM. Digital Cube [compact area consisting of 1 by 1 rooms, "memory and item puzzle game"]
SM. Exia [brown graphics; focused on Grapple with pits and blocks that push Samus]
SM. GrandPrix ["car racing graphics"; non-linear speedrun hack]
SM. GrandPrix2 [same as GrandPrix, but new layout and a bit harder]
SM. Sil ["silhouette-like" graphics; overworld area]
SM. Temporus [project base mechanics; halloween-ish]
SM. 32 [linear structure; facility areas]
SM Event Horizon [long mysterious journey; high gravitation later on in "black hole" area]
SM Rainbow City [the Super Mario World of SM hacks; overworld]
SM Retaliation [Zero Mission graphics; caves]
SM. ∑++ (Sigma++) [godlike colourful graphics; boss rush]
SM Volta [many different overworld tileset; straight forward]
SM. INERTIA [christmas hack; travelling with maneuverable Springball]
SM. Snowglobe [christmas hack; fun music and plot]
SM. Equilibrium [underwater jet-pack; "dark visor"]
SM. Rulers of Ruin [Castlevania tileset; short]
SM. Ice Returns [frozen underwater caves; Serris boss from Metroid Fusion]
SM Sunshine Oddity [ rainbow-coloured caves; new HUD]
SM. Conflict [item shop; strange boss fights]
SM. So Little Collab [desert pyramid; labyrinth with limited mobility]
- - -
- Old initial project thread from MetConst: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3204.0.html
- - -
Further potential personal goal ideas:
- Speedrun completions of the following categories on PAL instead of NTSC:
Icebooster, X-Ice, Chargeless-Gravity, Chargeless-Ice, 0%, any%glitched, 100%Map, GT-Classic, Ceres Escape, Low%Map, Alphabetical Boss Order, Max%GT-Code, Blindfolded any%, Zebes Escape, Low%Ice, Low%Speed, RBO, 100%, any%. And generally for categories with very low competition, Theory-TASes or strategy videos could be made. And for speedrun categories in general, I could try to go for top 10, or for fastest keyboard times, or for times below (10/9)°T, with T being a category's corresponding current WR time.
(should maybe assign estimated values of time-investment or difficulty for each project: Low, medium, and hard...)
(... to do/continue >_>)
Edu207's SM Projects TODO-List
I'm not much of a guy who practices, but I do have some goals for speedrunning that seem doable.
I don't want to use ranking as criteria, because some people choose to not submit, so I use other arbitrary criteria.
(last update: July 3rd 2018)
- Any% = sub matrick (45:46), most likely to happen with PRKD route;
- 100% = I can't PB in this category ever again, ya silly goose;
- Low% Ice = sub Low% Speed WR (54:13);
- Low% Speed = sub h000uuuurr, although sub RBO WR (59:31) would be nice too;
- RBO = sub 100% WR (1:14:33);
Those would be the more "serious" categories, I don't have anything planned for other categories on DeerTier or the extensions.
As for challenge runs, other than reducing my collection rate on RBO down from 28%, I don't plan on anything else as well.
Dan's SM Projects TODO-List
Make a list of all the rooms in the same order as they appear in SMILE, with SMILE ID
- Mother Brain
Analyze the attack patterns of MB2 from the latest low% TAS
- Write a Java program that takes Lua output of the relevant variables from above and can predict the attack patterns
- Expand the program to take an initial RNG value, go through all possible attack patterns, and rank them, by giving each attack option a weight.
- Write a Java program to calculate how many wasted frames during the MB 10 onion rings damage to Baby Metroid phase for each RNG value
- Step through the code and:
- Disassemble each bank of code, separate code from data, and pseudocode the ASM for reference
Write a Lua script that can pull for all potential references of a variable across all banks of memory, like RNG or the global timer
- Keep an expanded RAM Map that contains what values each memory location can have, and what the value(s) mean
- Maybe TAS another one or two shorter hacks.
- Write a simulator for Samus physics (Java), assuming this doesn't get too complicated, so that solutions can be searched
- Maybe even consolidate all my one-off Java programs, into a GitHub repo.
- Document which tricks are impossible, e.g. red tower GGG to Maridia or post Ridley two room spark, complete with surrounding mathematics.
(enter editing mode and insert your ideas, possibly associated to some nickname, if wanted)