Add your potential SM Projects TODO-List here
Add your potential SM Projects TODO-List here
The purpose of this page is to (possibly gather interest for and) keep track of and gather interest for projects (or to document them, to keep ideas conserved), aswell as to allow for a publicly accessible overview of and insights into personal and/or general (in case the same thing is wanted by many) SM related ideas (in a structured/ordered manner) for potential new future projects (which then possibly could be tackled in a coordinated manner) or completions/conclusions of unfinished already existing projects that could be wanted by 1 or more persons in the community, and/or help the community or the Wiki page to improve. So feel free to brainstorm about
(even if it might be exaggerated wishful thinking) that might technically or realistically contribute to the prosperity of the Wiki and/or SM community.
ED's SM Projects TODO-List
Anything below is meant as project for NTSC aswell as PAL, aswell as with respect to different (worthwhile) rule-sets (such as with or without OoB, or Reverse Lower Norfair entry) unless further specified.
- Adding (complete, so that they show not only parts of rooms) pictures/screenshots of all/remaining rooms to the WIKI from the SMILE editor, possibly with the different existing room states (and preferably also with a version in which solid tiles are highlighted to differentiate them from air and e.g. spike blocks like in MB1's room).
- Documenting suggested close to optimal routes on the Wiki for PAL speedrun categories (such as 100% with the Etecoon floor clip), possibly together with demonstration corresponding speedrun videos. Example 1: Any%glitched theory TAS (with hitbox viewerand setup explanations) for Sniq's don't try this at home route that takes the Parlor Wrongwarp ( https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/397601257432547339/397602280125366273/dont_try_this_at_home_path.png ) to Landing Site's OoB for early PBs to then continue normally. Example 2: PAL any% (which would probably do the new route from NTSC which is viable in PAL). Example 3: PAL 100% theory TAS with the (quick) Etecoon-floor clip (and its route-wise consequences).
- For the time being: An implementation of an automatic conversion of speedrun submissions from DeerTier to the leaderboard(s) on SRC (and vice versa, unless already existing), to obsolete the need for manual transfer by moderators.
- Page with a list of hard/TAS tricks/maneuvers/techniques (not necessarily speedrun related), together with either a confirmation that the trick is RTA doable or unknown or has been tested and is deemed impossible).
- Investigating the G-Mode X-RAy usage timings at savestations for various memory corruption effects, for a possibly faster any%glitched speedrun route for players.
- creating a spreadsheet with strat room times for all rooms (depending on equipment, category, RNG, ammo+hp costs), possibly with strat video clips or descriptions of the strats.
- creation of a check list of as many hard tricks/glitches/TAS-strats as possible for which of those have been attempted (and are deemed to be not humanly doable) and which of them are doable without tool-assistance.
- Creation and application of a mapping tool/lua script for mapping the full tile content in rooms including all of the Out of Bounds areas (and if possible multiple versions per room, and for all rooms).
- Listing all qualitatively different ways in which tool-assisted superplay could go out of bounds in a room, for all rooms.
- Listing all my tile behavior analysis of the 4096 block types with the 16 block types and 256 BTS values each in some appropriate page.
- Figuring out the remaining parts of the to-be-updated Item-Tree analysis aswell as Item-Randomizer analysis, and properly documenting the results aswell as the reasoning that leads to these.
- Updating and extending the physics compendium.
- Analogous to the Item-Tree analysis, the Exploration analysis (regarding all minimal item combinations that allow to uncover a given map tile, for all map tiles, starting from the beginning) is to be continued and updated.
- Further category speedrun world record progressions remain to be documented, and possibly a documentation or list or place for completions that fit less as speedruns but as achievements/challenges. Regarding the documentation of the progressions, one might aswell add further information regarding (possibly) relevant characteristics of WR runs such as if emulator (and in this case which and what version) was used, or what other device was used.
- The history of SM discoveries (tricks, glitches, routes, etc.) remains to be documented...
- Maybe as supporting preparatory basis for the above, one could make a place in which all known instances of strange occurrences happened (in videos for example)
- Documenting/Making a video of Samus' CF colours while having rainbow beam effect on.
- - -
Special categories related:
- Figuring out all of the solutions to Low%No-Refills.
- Making a demonstration of Pacifist-Low% aswell as Pacifist-Max%.
- Improving the current state of the Low%Map record, and possibly making a proof of concept (or own attempt) for an estimated best possible map tile count for Low%Map.
- Testing (and if possible documenting) with what preferably minimal equipment it is/might be possible to keep surviving forever at the magdollites room aswell as pre-Ridley room just by efficient farming and TAS RNG manipulation.
- Making a proof of concept demonstration for RBO being possible with 13% for TAS.
- Updating/Solving 8Beam-Shots-Low% for the Underflow case (and documenting it).
- Figuring out and documenting the solutions to minimal number of rooms in which Samus is at least for 1 frame unmorph (i.e. Morphball%).
- - -
Hacks & TAS related:
- Possibly routing and documenting such routings of further SM speedrun branches such as
- all the 4 other 13% TAS-Low% branches (PB-PB, PB-Ice, PB-Speed, PB-X-Ray), and in particular, my suggested routes on TASVideos for some of these require updating to make up for the new discoveries
- any%IGT (with pause abuse optimizations, and possibly an encode that only shows frames in which IGT runs)
- IGT-optimized NMG any% TAS with pause abuse throughout (and an encode that only shows frames in which IGT runs), and properly figured out optimal route
- Routing further hacks for any% TASes, in particular interest would be on the following list of hacks:
- SM Redesign (there is material and info by Saturn, Taco and Hoandizi and Elminster)
- SM Redesign (any%glitched with Sniq's early moonwalk doorskip OoB at 2nd Crateria room or so and walking onto a strange PLM tile in the ceiling of another room that triggers the escape state, which is also used in Elminster's RTA runs of it)
- SM Hyper (there's a WIP by Taco up to around Spore Spawn)
- (SM Project Base v.0.8)
- SM Ice Metal (there's some japanese WIP or TAS out there on NicoNico that abuses Megaball iirc)
- SM Z-Factor (needs adaptions to open it in SMILE)
- SM Final Stand (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Oxide (see DCR's speedrun as comparison, and my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Advent (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Hydellius (there's now many different mostly progressive versions of this)
- SM Ice Returns (there's a TAS of this by Hoandizi but the boss fight is unnecessary, see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM New Zebes
- SM RBO Insane
- SM YPR (see my Test-TAS movie file, hack ends in Lower Norfair, rapid-fire speed-echoes might find application)
- SM So Little Garden (Taco made a WIP, Hoandizi made a TAS of Max%, also see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Snowglobe (Taco and someone else made a WIP, also see my test-TAS movie file)
- SM Airy (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM GR2 Halfhack2
- SM Lost World 1.4 (see my route notes)
- SM So Little Items (see Mumu_Didi's speedruns for comparison)
- SM Reimagined version(...) (Taco made a WIP of it)
- SM Digital Cube (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM So Little Time
- SM Retroid (see Galamoz' speedruns and my notes, and my map: https://wiki.supermetroid.run/images/b/b8/SM_Retroid.jpg)
- SM Stupidity
- SM Impossible
- SM Aquamarine (unknown obscure old puzzle hack actually)
- SM Revolution Ex
- SM Sigma++ (this one is a boss rush hack and has excellent graphics, but doesn't have credits)
- SM Sunshine Oddity
- SM Super Mega-Metroid X-2 (see my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Arrival (key skip isn't possible anymore in the new version)
- SM YP Hell (see Sweetnumb's and maybe other's speedruns for comparison and my Test-TAS movie file)
- SM Noobsmasher (see my Test-TAS movie files)
- SM Falling (might be done soon)
- (possibly new unique and worthy hacks, or hacks that could showcase special rare tricks/applications such as Bomb-Grapple-Hanging Transition-Teleportation or GGG via super-fast shot using a spark into a CF, or playing in the title screen demos, or applying midair Springballjump-chains suitless in water)
- Figuring out if the early Gravity GGG for SM Impossible is possible (as proof of concept), with a corresponding movie file (and video) as documentation.
- Making a proof of concept theory speedrun for the new early PBs SM Impossible any% route (as improvement over Lioran's current route). The route would do the Moondance except with probably 2 incorporated well-timed turnarounds to prevent knockback from an off-screen moving Zeela during the setup, and keeping enough energy for traversing the Beetom spike hall of death to get early PBs. Since PBs kill Novas, one can get the 2 Highjump-E.T.s before Kraid. PBs also kill the green pirates and Mini-Kraid. Kraid is still needed for Spazer and 1 E.T., and an early Norfair R.T. could be collected at this point (but doesn't need to for the purpose of trying a hit-or-miss CF & R-Jump to get Plasma very early. The PBs should also allow to get Crocomire's E.T. early. After Supers and Highjump, one can collect the normal 1st PBs via Glasstube shortcut with the rooms above. Then (one maybe could go and get the E.T. at X-Ray's location but maybe also instead on the way back down, and) one can get Charge (helps for pseudo-screws at Phantoon) on the way to Phantoon (and more Supers), and one can go the same way back without Forgotten Highway and Maridia. It should be possible to get CF-ammo on the way to Plasma by killing the crab (maybe via a layed PB), laying a PB and getting a PB drop back, to do a CF and then a 1st try R-Jump (which would help a ton for Draygon and Botwoon), and this might justify skipping the beach Supers. For early Plasma grab retries, it might make sense to save at the glasstube savestation as backup. Afterwards, one would continue normally (and maybe would skip the Maridia R.-Tank). This route would have a harder beginning part but would make the hardest part, Draygon easier, and should save some minutes over the previous route.
- Going through all of the on the Wiki listed TASes to search for improvements (and ideas for potential improvements), and to list them in corresponding pages for each TAS (and making a page that covers and explains the most frequent general details, quirks and tricks that can be applied in TASes, such that in concrete improvement list pages, one can just refer to such trick application together with a timestamp in the TAS where it seems applicable).
- Putting up a place on the Wiki where obsoleted SM (hack or original) TASes can be gathered (possibly integrated into the structure of the current TAS list page, with their corresponding info).
- On this note, it seems that on the TAS list page, the movie file for Ruin, The Adam Virus, Wet Winter, Grand Prix 2, and Taco's TAS movie files are missing (and should, as opposed to other missing files, be obtainable). And it seems that the RBO Impossible TAS video parts are unavailable anymore.
- Apparently Hubert's Project Base any% and Max% TAS movie files are lost according to him.
- - -
(should maybe assign estimated values of time-investment or difficulty for each project: Low, medium, and hard...)
(... to do/continue >_>)
(enter editing mode and insert your ideas, possibly associated to some nickname, if wanted)