14% Gravboots is one of the theoretical 14% categories that is yet to have a known, recorded, RTA completion. A total of 14 items are picked up during the entire run and focuses on using Gravity Suit and Hi-Jump Boots for level progression.
This category is possible due to being able to kill Zebetites with only 10 missiles, and by a PAL-only method to get through pre-Botwoon's room with Gravity, Hi-Jump Boots, and a Reserve Tank. Although confirmed RTA, more investigations are needed to find the best methods.
To finish this run, you need to know how to:
- Infinite bomb jump
- Continuous walljump and/or horizontal bomb jump over the moat
- Get through pre-Botwoon with Gravity Suit, Hi-Jump Boots, and a Reserve Tank (see below)
- Gravity jump (entering Lower Norfair)
- Destroy Zebetites while only using 10 missiles
- Morphing Ball
- Charge Beam (for bosses)
- Gravity Suit (for Maridia navigation)
- Varia Suit (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 2 Energy Tanks (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 1 Reserve Tank (to get through pre-Botwoon's room and survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 2 Missile Pack (to open red doors, defeat MB1, and destory Zebetites)
- 2 Super Missile Packs (to open green doors and defeat MB1)
- 2 Power Bomb Pack (to open orange doors and CF clip to Botwoon)
Additionally, 1+2 Energy+Reserve Tanks may be easier, but the current best (PAL) method for the Zebetite kill is easier with 2 Energy Tanks.
Collect Morph, Alpha Missiles, Bombs, Terminator Energy Tank, Early Supers, Brinstar Reserve, and Charge Beam.
Get Alpha Power Bombs, CWJ across the Moat, and get Wrecked Ship Supers Left and Gravity Suit.
Go down to Norfair and get Hi-Jump Boots.
Proceed through Maridia.
Perform the strat with Gravity Suit, Hi-Jump Boots, and a Reserve Tank to get to Botwoon.
Get Botwoon's Energy Tank, and proceed through the rest of Maridia.
Kill Kraid, and get Varia Suit.
Lava dive, and go to kill Ridley.
Go to Tourian, and kill the Metroids with power bombs (by leaving Tourian to get more power bombs). Enter the end part of Tourian with 10/10 ammo.
Kill the first Zebetite using a super missile. Perform the 10 Missile Zebetite Kills. Then defeat Mother Brain and escape.
The clip to pre-Botwoon has not been fully investigated. It is PAL-only, and require Gravity Suit, Hi-Jump Boots, and Morph.
Here is a clip of it being done RTA:
Based off minimal tests, it seemed to require 1 Energy Tank and 2 Reserve Tanks, so the Reserve Tank automatic refill lasted long enough. This doesn't really make sense with how long i-frames should last, so it might be more likely that attempts with 1 Reserve Tank were just unlucky. Further investigations are needed.
The strat seems to be three-times frame perfect:
- The Pause must be some number of frames before the Up input;
- The Up input must happen one frame after taking damage from the Puyo and must be properly positioned with respect to the Pause;
- After switching Reserves to automatic and unpausing, one must press Jump+Pause frame perfectly just as the Reserves finish filling.
It is possible these are not quite frame perfect.
The setup shown in the clip may be a good RTA setup, but it may also be dependent on Puyo RNG. This should be investigated further.