WORLD RECORD RECORDING
14% xSpeed is one of the in-bounds 14% categories that have a known RTA completion. A total of 14 items are picked up during the entire run and focuses on using the Speed Booster and X-Ray Scope for level progression.
This category utilizes L+R Walljumping to breach the water pre-colosseum due to the lack of Gravity Suit, Hi-Jump Boots, Ice Beam, and Grapple. It is theoretically possible that this can be avoided on PAL, by performing a Superjump at Mt. Everest. This is discussed later in this article.
To finish this run, you need to know how to:
- Infinite bomb jump
- Continuous walljump and/or horizontal bomb jump over the moat
- R-Mode pre-botwoon clip
- Navigate Maridia without Gravity Suit, Hi-Jump Boots, or Ice Beam
- Lava dive without Gravity Suit or Hi-Jump Boots (G-Mode entry of Lower Norfair can be done instead)
- Zebetite skip with Speed Booster only
- X-Ray climb
- Morphing Ball
- Charge Beam (for bosses)
- Speed Booster (for Zebetite skip and Mt. Everest)
- X-Ray Scope (to escape Draygon's entry chamber and to clip pre-Botwoon)
- Varia Suit (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 1 Energy Tanks (Various - 1E2R or 2E1R) (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 2 Reserve Tank (to do R-mode and G-mode and to ensure Draygon carries Samus to the top of the room)
- 2 Missile Packs (Awakening and Moat) (to open red doors and defeat MB1)
- 2 Super Missile Packs (Early and Wrecked Ship (Left)) (to open green doors and defeat MB1)
- 1 Power Bomb Pack (Red Brinstar Elevator (Lower)) (to open orange doors)
Instead, on PAL, one can perform a Jesuswalk Superjump, as in this clip:
Note this clip performs this from a flash suit. Since the route requires G-moding into Maridia with a blue suit, either a clever trick need be employed to allow this working with a blue suit while still taking damage from the crab, or the blue suit needs to be converted to a flash suit after G-moding into Maridia. This second option allows backing out of the attempt during the door transition if you think the position is off, so it is favored. This can be done with R-mode, so this is probably suggested.
After performing this trick (which must basically be done first try, since a failure after the door transition will use the flash suit), the resulting blue suit is then carried through the Botwoon hallways and used to spark up Halife Climb Room.
Although all individual parts have been tested RTA, chaining together the collection of tricks (blue suit, G-mode, R-mode convert blue to flash, Jesuswalk Superjump, Botwoon, crossing Colosseum without falling) together would be quite difficult. No one has yet managed this.
Note this does not appear to work on NTSC.