WORLD RECORD RECORDING
14% Speedboots is one of the eight in-bounds low% categories that are currently humanly possible. A total of 14 items are picked up during the entire run and focuses on using the Speed Booster and Hi-Jump Boots for level progression.
14% Speedboots is a PAL-only category. The PAL version allows for Hi-Jump Boots to replace Gravity Suit because the player's jump height underwater is slightly higher compared to NTSC, making it possible to escape Draygon's entry chamber without the use of Gravity Suit, Speed Booster (or blue suit/shinespark suit), or X-Ray Scope.
The current record is the only single segment run of the category completed thus far. It is likely that this category could be completed in under two hours. EternisedDragon's real time listed above is an approximation based on the footage provided.
To finish this run, you need to know how to:
- Infinite bomb jump
- Generate a shinespark suit (explained below)
- Single underwater walljump (to escape Draygon's entry chamber)
- Lava dive without Gravity Suit
- Zebetite skip with Speed Booster only
- Bomb Torizo skip (not required but should be done if capable - it is PAL after all!)
- Morphing Ball
- Charge Beam (for bosses)
- Speed Booster (for Zebetite skip and traversing Maridia)
- Varia Suit (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- Hi-Jump Boots (to traverse Maridia and enter Lower Norfair)
- 3 Energy Tanks (Terminator, Hi-Jump Boots, and Kraid) (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 1 Missile Packs (Awakening) (to open red doors and defeat MB1)
- 3 Super Missile Packs (Early, Wrecked Ship (Left), and Wrecked Ship (Right)) (to open green doors and defeat MB1)
- 1 Power Bomb Pack (Red Brinstar Elevator (Lower)) (to open orange doors)
In order to progress through Maridia without having the Ice Beam, you will need to be able to obtain a number of shinespark suits throughout the run - namely, one to reach the upper right door of the Maridian mountain, and one to break through the pre-Botwoon pipes. The two primary methods of obtaining shinespark suits humanly are the "spikesuit" method and the "slopespark" method.
Like other 14% categories, it should be faster to handle Phantoon before Kraid, in which case, you should utilize the information on the 14% Iceboots page regarding crossing the moat, and obtain the applicable ammo accordingly.
Note that just like Reverse Boss Order, Speed Booster should be disabled during lava dive, otherwise it will hinder horizontal momentum, making it much more difficult to execute properly and leaving Samus with less energy.