WORLD RECORD RECORDING
14% Pb-Pb is one of the thirteen in-bounds low% categories that are currently humanly possible. A total of 14 items are picked up during the entire run and focuses on using the Charge Beam and Power Bombs for level progression.
This category utilizes L+R walljumping to breach the water pre-colosseum due to the lack of Gravity Suit, Hi-Jump Boots, and Ice Beam.
To finish this run, you need to know how to:
- Infinite bomb jump
- Continuous walljump and/or horizontal bomb jump over the moat
- Enter Maridia via forgotten highway and tube gravity jump
- Navigate Maridia without Gravity Suit, Hi-Jump Boots, or Ice Beam
- Pre-Botwoon cf clip
- Exit Maridia via East Cactus Alley Room or left side underwater walljump w/o Hi-Jump Boots
- Lava dive without Gravity Suit or Hi-Jump Boots
- Elevator Crystal Flash (Optional elevator cf zeb skip)
- Draygon ammo underflow (Optional)
- Morphing Ball
- Charge Beam (to fight Botwoon after pre-Botwoon cf clip, Ridley, and MB2)
- Varia Suit (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 2 Energy Tanks (Various) (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 1 Reserve Tank (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 2 Missile Packs (Awakening and Moat) (to open red doors, Crystal Flash, and defeat MB1)
- 2 Super Missile Packs (Early and Wrecked Ship (Left)) (to open green doors, Crystal Flash, and defeat MB1)
- 3 Power Bomb Packs (Red Brinstar Elevator (Lower), Red Brinstar Elevator (Upper), Landing Site) (to open orange doors and Crystal Flash)
This category is unique because it collects three Power Bombs like the chargeless categories, but also collects Charge Beam. This means the player can choose to either execute the Draygon underflow or obtain an elevator crystal flash (cf) suit to skip the Zebetites. The current WR run opted to skip the draygon underflow, which makes Draygon easier and the latter part of the run more difficult.
History and Routing
EternisedDragon found a way to ascend Fish Tank RTA by getting doorstuck and spinjumping to the wall on the right. The jump height increase in PAL allows Samus to "catch" the wall on the right and walljump up the room. This was thought to be TAS only for a long time and this opens up 14% Grapple-Chargeless, Pb-Pb, and Grapple-Speed as theoretically humanly doable categories.
The first obstacle of the run is East Ocean, which requires meticulously timed bomb jumps or an elevator cf suit to pass. The WR run obtains a flash suit from the red tower elevator and carries it over to East Ocean to spark up to the door. The player would need to do another elevator cf and turn it into a blue suit to be used in Mt. Everest. The blue suit must be carried through forgotten highway and West Sand Hall, which poses risk since falling in the sand can lose the blue suit. An underwater Green Gate Glitch in Crab Tunnel is required to access Main Street and the tube below. When the tube is not broken, underwater physics are not present and a gravity jump can be done from the top of the tube to the ledge leading to Fish Tank. This gravity jump is the entire reason for navigating through forgotten highway in the first place. The player then ascends up Fish Tank and uses the blue suit to spark in Mt. Everest.
A crystal flash is used to clip through the pipes in Botwoon Hallway. Since the crystal flash drains all of Samus's Missiles and Super Missiles, Charge Beam is needed to fight Botwoon. The Botwoon E-Tank must be picked up and requires underwater walljumps w/o Hi-Jump Boots to reach the morph maze. In Halfie Climb Room, the player must climb up the entirety of the room and use L+R walljumping to breach the surface.
The Draygon fight can be done in two different ways and it depends whether or not the player chooses to underflow. The first method is to underflow missiles and/or super missiles, get carried to the top of the room, and spark out of The Precious Room. The second method is to get grabbed during a crystal flash to obtain a flash suit. Then Samus must be carried to the top of the room, kill Draygon from the top, and then spark out of The Precious Room. If the second method is done, then the player must obtain an elevator cf suit and carry it throughout Tourian to skip the Zebetites via a shinespark. Dying to MB or missing the shinespark means resetting and retrying the elevator cf.